My therapist suggested art!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Relationships with myself and others.

Executive Function: That's how the ADD experts refer to the boring routines of life that tend to get me and others like me into trouble. It means that tasks like laundry, bills, and cooking may get done but not necessarily timely or well. As my therapist explained, it takes more stress as compared with others before someone with ADD gets moving. But it takes less stress by comparison before we're overwhelmed. In other words, tasks that others find dull or distasteful we find difficult or abhorent. And problems that others find inconvenient or disagreeable we find horrible or disastrous. The result in my experience is that I can procrastinate or avoid tasks that at some point end up resulting in anxiety. And it sure is difficult to manage life - the responsibilities and the fun - when I'm feeling anxious.
Needless to say, this situation can create difficulties in relationships - with myself and others. Luckily, my bills get paid and I don't have addictions. But it can seem to others that I don't take responsibilities seriously, that I overreact to life's bumps, and that I am self absorbed. Of course, I don't enjoy the experience. I also try hard and get disappointed when I fall short. Which means I often disappoint myself and others.
I am well liked. I'm working toward respect.

2 comments:

  1. Hm. This post is interesting in that you seem to place far too much focus on approval. You do not at all come off as self-centered or pitiful against life's tribulations. I must admit, I struggle with the same things you mentioned; but have never quite been able to put it out there, let alone give my adhd issues a voice and reason. Hm. I particularly lean towards "inconvenient" vs "disastrous" and resulting in the impending doom that anxiety carries in. I remember HUGE bouts with overwhelming panic attacks because I let something go undone for far too long. I have to work every day not to consider myself disappointed by me; because I have the tendency to take self-harm way too far..at least my past indicates so. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

The word verification is there to discourage Spam.