My therapist suggested art!

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Walking in the rain helps ...

Tuesday evening I had an enjoyable discussion with a great friend. But the next morning, I awoke comparing our lives. Of course, by comparing her strengths and successes with my weaknesses and disappointments, I came up short.

After whining to myself a bit more about what I couldn’t do1, I decided to take a walk in the rain. It was warm rain, after all. Not long outdoors before the tone of my internal monologue changed; I began to focus on the positives more than the negatives.2  I took a photo and, as I watched a gaggle of geese cross the path before me, found myself thinking how fortunate I am to be in nature rather than impeded by a silly old job.

As it happens, Wednesday is the evening of the bi-weekly NAMI meeting in my town. Next I watched a 6 minute Ted TV video in which Joshua Walters describes the benefits of “just enough” bipolar disorder.3 Saturday, I biked and bussed my way to yet another NAMI meeting. Sunday I found myself at a local coffee shop, where I struck up conversation with two men with motorcycles, at least one of whom is a veteran of the Vietnam Conflict.

When in a fog of self pity, I find it helpful to walk in the rain, whether that’s literal or a figurative walk with fellow human beings.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
1 The medicine is making it very difficult to focus on reading or driving; It’s raining out, so commuting by bicycle is a drag; Without a job, I can’t get what I need or want out of life; and Blah, blah, blah.
2  I’m  walking in warm rain; it’s not cold rain, snow, or desert. Some people have to deal with the hassle of a wheelchair, and here I am with the easy fortune a leisurely stroll. Some women can’t talk a safe walk alone or even alongside a male person. And etc.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment!

The word verification is there to discourage Spam.