My therapist suggested art!

Monday, April 27, 2015

Family of the "Patient"

Recently my family celebrated two birthdays; my niece now is 3, and my nephew is 23. So family is on my mind as I write this particular post.

My family was aware of the great changes I experienced – from widowhood in 2009 to a change in cities and jobs in 2010. But the geographical separation limited their intimate knowledge of my experience. Until 2013, when I relocated again – this time to my childhood home. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder weeks after my arrival, my family has witnessed my adjustment in the intervening two years. The drama of my manic episode was played out in my parents’ living room; their phone call to the police department led to my 3-week stay in a local hospital. Despite my being middle aged, I lived in my parents’ home for the first year. They had front-row seats as I adjusted and re-adjusted to medications and insomnia, while also struggling with the fears of unemployment and job searching.

My parents and siblings attempted to be supportive without enabling. They tried to impress upon me that my situation was merely temporary, a belief I had trouble sharing. I am told that after my phone calls to one sister where I expressed my fears, she called our other sister to express her frustrations with my poor attitude.

My mental-health status is far from a family secret. Extended-family were privy to my adaptation. While describing my attempted altercation with the police, a favorite second-cousin reminded me that another relative had been killed by police after a domestic-violence call. During one rough patch when I found myself unable to drive home safely, I ended up at the home of an aunt for about a week; another aunt transported me for an appointment during that stay.

My NAMI Connections support group has become a “chosen family.” With very few exceptions, I have attended my favorite NAMI support group weekly since my diagnosis. They have seen me through fear, mania, depression, and hope. They have offered boundless assistance – from offering the name of a psychiatrist who is taking on new patients to suggesting recruiters who hire accountants. Best of all, they can relate to the experience, which isn’t always rational.


As I improve, I imagine my families look on with guarded optimism. Since acquiring temporary but regular work several months ago, I’m feeling more like myself. My sense of humor has returned. And I’m able to look and act beyond myself; I’m now a partner within my families.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot begin to imagine what all took place during a manic episode that could have resulted in such a lengthy hospital stay. Care to elaborate?
    Is it safe to say that I woulda killed anyone who called "them people" on me during an episode -period?! I mean WFH is it when I have to deal with me/myself/I AND "them"?! Total dick move in my book!

    I am one of those crazy bipolar humans who digs her manic states and revels in them for as long as possible. Ahh the insomnia has been an ongoing love/hate type of
    situation that I enjoy only if my ADHD is controlled and I am able to be productive and work; not go to work persay -but get work done. Have I ever mentioned we have quite a bit in common? ;p

    I must commend you on "coming out" to your family, as my diagnosissss were definitely a secret to all including what little fam I have. That shows strength coming off the blocks so quickly! Kudos my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again! Thanks for following and commenting.

      I've heard it's common to enjoy manic episodes. I guess I'm the exception.

      I can't say I had much choice in being "out" to family about my bipolar status. They witnessed the ugly first year.

      As to your questions about my time in the hospital, read my latest post. ;-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!

The word verification is there to discourage Spam.