My therapist suggested art!

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hypnosis!

If you've read my recent posts - or for those "fortunate" enough to be around me lately - I have been a mess! My anxiety level was through the roof. I was in a "loop;" I was overwhelmed and "stuck." Luckily, I recently started a small coffee group before work once per week - as a way to coax myself out of bed without resentment. One member, a few years into retirement from a more conventional job, has been certified in hypnosis. Nothing else was working and, luckily, I'm open to trying things outside of western medicine. So I scheduled an appointment for last weekend. And a second appointment for this weekend.

Now when I feel my stress level rising, instead of worrying, complaining or crying, I simply rub two fingers on my left hand together and get on with my day. And when I feel myself judging myself or others or beginning a string of useless worry, I simply watch a virtual penny bounce into a virtual wishing well and get on with my day. Yesterday, while walking the dog, I caught myself beginning to worry, "Uh oh, what will happen if I don't worry." Oh, for goodness sake! Another penny into the well as I laughed at how ridiculous my thoughts can be and how ridiculous that I had been believing the worst of them.

Important realizations I've made in the last week are that I must trust the world to hold me up and I must trust myself to do the same if I'm going to be a healthy, happy person who makes a contribution in this world. Each of us is so much more than we can possibly imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

The word verification is there to discourage Spam.